Skills and Experience
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows, UNIX, Linux
- Other Programming Languages: C/C++, Java, Visual Basic for Applications, Perl, some Python
- Databases: Relational database design and SQL, specializing in Microsoft SQL Server development
- Other Tools: Microsoft Office, various graphics packages
1997 - 2002
McMASTER UNIVERSITY, Hamilton, ON
Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degree in Honours Computer Science, with a minor in the Theme School on Science, Technology, and Public Policy. Maintained an A average and achieved Dean's Honour List in every year attended. Awarded the Ruth and Jack Hall Prize and Gerald L. Keech Medal for achieving the highest average in Computer Science in third and graduating years, respectively.
1991 - 1996
ST. MARY'S SECONDARY SCHOOL, Hamilton, ON
Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma and OAC credits. Maintained a high honours average in advanced studies in all subjects.
May 1998 - present
SELF-EMPLOYED SOFTWARE CONSULTANT/DEVELOPER
Providing various technical and software project planning services including:
- Technical Project Management
- Web application design and development (most significantly, as primary developer of CIOC Software since 2002)
- Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Access database development and consulting
- Software requirements gathering, software specification and design, system testing and evaluation
- Leading training sessions for using various software applications
- Technical support
May 2000 - August 2001
- 16 month Industrial Internship Position, Global Backbone Transport Development (GBTD) Process and Project Engineering Department
- First intern involved in Nortel's Leadership Edge program
- Led major review and revision of software development and documentation process; involved co-ordinating an international multi-functional team
- Created training materials and led training sessions
- Preparation for ISO9001/TL9000 audits
- Developed scripts to calculate statistics on inter-card messaging traffic
- Participated in team preparing for the restructuring of software architecture across Optical Networks products; contributions included: analysis of tools for revision control/dependency management, project scheduling, creation of informational materials for developers and management
- Awards received: Silver PRIDE Award, for diagramming the interacting development processes from idea conception through deployment; Gold PRIDE Award, for investigation and report on issues during the deployment of a new product for a major international customer.
November 2001 - January 2002
- Teaching Assistant for third year Computer Graphics course.
- Duties included marking mid-term and final exams and assisting students in preparing for exams.
May 1997 - December 1997
HAMILTON HEALTH SCIENCES CORPORATION
- Webpage programming and design for Clinical Programs at the four HHSC sites during the summer and fall of 1997.
- Continued to work on a contract basis for the Volunteer Association, programming webpages and training staff, until May 2000.
June 1994 - May 1998
HAMILTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Part-time Floor Page and full-time Circulation Page (summer, 1994).
- Duties included assisting patrons, shelving and sorting books, check-out and customer service, and general tidying.
- Gerald L. Keech Medal (2002)
- Nortel Networks Gold PRIDE Award (2000)
- Nortel Networks Silver PRIDE Award (2000)
- The Dr. Sina Sazgar Memorial Scholarship (2000)
- The Ruth and Jack Hall Prize (2000)
- Dr. Harry Lyman Hooker Scholarship (1999)
- William Q. Stobo Scholarship (McMaster Senate Scholarship) (1998)
- McMaster Dean's Honour List (1998, 1999, 2000, 2002)
- Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Science Fair Gold Award (1996)
- St. Mary's Choir Award (1996)
- Principal's Scholarship St. Mary's High School (1995)
- Visual Arts Award for graduating class (1995)